Is Duterte out of funds? PDP-Laban says presidential bid botched due to thinning campaign kitty
It appears that the lack of interest isn’t the reason why Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte shelved his plans to run for president, at least according to the chairman of the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).
Former South Cotabato Governor Mike Sueño said he has received information that Duterte was prompted to file his certificate of candidacy for reelection due to lack of funds.
“Nahihirapan si mayor sa pondo. Sa ngayon marami kasi ang nagsasabing tutulong sila pero walang nangyayari. ‘Yun (lack of funds) ang talagang naka-[apekto] kay mayor,” he said in a press conference on Tuesday (Oct. 27).
Duterte dashed hopes he would run for president when he filed his COC for mayor instead of president earlier this month. In his place, PDP-Laban fielded anti-crime advocate Martin Diño as its standard bearer.
Days after closing the door on a presidential run, however, Duterte tickled the public’s fancy once again when he declared he’s open to becoming the substitute for Diño in case the latter is disqualified by the Commission on Elections, or withdraws his candidacy.
The comments posted on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of POLITICS.com.ph. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.